The "ELENI P.", one of the largest preserved perama (total length 22.20 m), was built in Skiathos by the most famous shipbuilding family of the island, the Mytilinians. The width of the ship is 7.10 m, the depth is 2.50 m, the total capacity is 77.54 gross tonnes and the perimeter of the maximum cross section is 10.60 m. The ship with registration number Hydra 167 has an internal combustion engine MERCEDES 200 BHP. The construction of the "ELENI P." was started in 1939 and was completed relatively quickly, but during the war the hull was left outside, so the ship was "on its belly", which eventually affected the capacity. The "ELENI P." was finally launched in 1951, initially under the name "DIMITRIOS D.". Later she was renamed "GINA T.", to be christened with her present name in the 1960s. The construction of the ship was carried out exclusively with hand tools and techniques used for centuries in the tarsi of the Aegean. The 'Perama' type of vessel is also the continuation of a tradition of Aegean vessels that probably dates back to the early Byzantine centuries, according to some experts.
The traditional wooden boat ELENI P. was classified as a historical monument at YA YΠΠΟ/ΔILAP/G/2140/35244/12.7.1999 (Official Gazette 1579/16.8.1999) in accordance with the provisions of Law 1469/50. For this reason, a relevant request has already been submitted to the Directorate of Modern Cultural Heritage and Intangible Cultural Heritage for the establishment of a five-member committee, pursuant to Article 26 of Law 3028/2002 (under the regulation provided for in Article 63 of Law 4481/2017), to examine the condition of the vessel and propose measures to preserve its authenticity. Even if the Committee does not take a decision on measures to be taken on the vessel, it nevertheless submits a reasoned conclusion to the Directorate of Modern Cultural Heritage and Intangible Cultural Heritage with its proposals and relevant photographic material. Its conclusion on repair or reconstruction will be included in the recommendation of the above-mentioned department of the Ministry of Culture and Natural Resources to the Central Council for Modern Monuments.
The supply of the predominantly historical island of Hydra in the post-war period with the "ELENI P." makes it undoubtedly a unique historical element of the last fifty years in the life of the island. The "ELENI P." could be a living symbol of the recent history of Hydra, the period of the emergence of the first tourist islands and the first protected settlements in our country, among which Hydra certainly occupies the first place. In 2000, thanks to the efforts of the Historical Archaeological Museum of Hydra (IAMY), the Eleni P. was transferred to Salamina to be maintained and converted into a floating annex of the museum. Since then she has been lying in the shipyard of Koupetori, at the mercy of the weather and waiting for a solution. Wear and tear has completely overwhelmed this historic "Perama", the paint is cracked, the supports have bored into the sides of the hull, the keel is pitted, the wood is cracked and rotten and total collapse is now inevitable and very close.
Αποτύπωση του σκάφους Ελένη Π. 0 Ν.Υ. 167
Ναυπήγηση: Σκιάθος, 1951
Διαστάσεις: Αποτύπωση Πρωτοκ. Επιθεωρ.
L.O.A.: 23.14 22.20 m
L. keel: 16.48 16.50 m
Breadth: 7.25 7.10 m
Depth: 2.69 2.50 m